What are you currently playing?

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by god, Nov 4, 2010.

1. Gadolf the Absolute

Forum Moderator

Shadowrun Returns Deluxe is free on Humble Store until June 23rd and I got my copy yesterday. I'm really digging it. The role-play elements give plenty of options if you happen to have the right skill-sets or know the right lingo,and the combat hasn't felt particularly cheap or overwhelming given the number of paths to take with character building. I do feel like I'm not familiar at all with Shadowrun's world,so I'm definitely missing a lot of lore and world-building and some of the terminology goes over my head,but it hasn't stopped me from enjoying the game-play.

Samet Chan likes this.
  2. Gene Starwind

Gene Starwind NOL's intelligence division captain

training in league of legends

Samet Chan likes this.
  3. Samet Chan

Samet Chan Altair-imperial
    AXF Donor

Currently playing: Friday the 13th: Game on PS4 online mode.

4. SantaX

Samet Chan likes this.
  5. Samet Chan

Samet Chan Altair-imperial
    AXF Donor

Currently playing: Friday the 13th: Game on PS4.

6. Gene Starwind

Currently playing league of legends and hellblade senua's sacrifice

Samet Chan likes this.
  7. Gadolf the Absolute

Forum Moderator

I picked up Final Fantasy XV Windows Edition during the Steam sale and started it once I finished the default Shadowrun campaign. I'm closing in on 30 hours and I'm torn on how I feel about it.

I actually like the modern aesthetic and the road-trip to Hell with your bros makes the characters feel more relateable compared to having a wild and wacky cast of technicolor doofuses. Having the game open up with "Stand By Me" accompanying the title drop made me ask the question "Why can't all Final Fantasies just be Jojo's?". I also appreciate Square's foresight of "The player is going to spend a lot of time in this car,let's just let them collect a ton of classic FF soundtracks to listen to during the ride. The combat feels really kinetic at it's best and this implementation of blindsiding enemies flows much more smoothly than it did in Star Ocean 4 where the game holds you at gunpoint and threatens to shoot a hostage every hour until it's demands are met.

Having said that,the game has a blatant problem of sidequest diarrhea not unlike FFX-2. I'm going on 30 hours in and I'm still on chapter 3 of probably 13. That's almost 30 hours of basically just fetch/kill quests with minimal plot. Add to that the fact that the hunts returning from FFXII are themselves locked behind a bar you have to raise by doing other hunts. I've even run into a sidequest locked behind a hunt that I can't actually accept as it's locked behind a hunt level I haven't reached yet even though I've already passed the recommended party level and can only fix by visiting every diner on the continent one-by-one looking for incomplete hunts I haven't taken. A kill quest that requires me to grind other kill quests to take on a kill quest that's just a single kill quest in a line of identical kill quests.

The world is big and open,which is a nice way of saying it's completely empty. There's really nothing of value to do or collect. Sure there are random items strewn about and "treasure points" to find,but the game uses the same icon for a unique weapon as it does for a healing item. The treasure isn't much in the way of treasure nine times out of ten. You can find spots to fish t,but it doesn't matter. This isn't Breath of Fire where fish get traded for good stuff,some of the fish aren't even edible,with scales that are worth practically nothing when sold. You can find spots to camp and cook your own meals,but that's also largely pointless. For the exuberant cost of 15 gil I can stay at any camper at any settlement and get 20% more EXP without having to deal with the obnoxiously respawning daemons that plague the wilderness at night. It also takes entirely too long to get anywhere considering how many cascading sidequest chains there are to get stuck with. I'm reaching the point where driving to the turn-in point for a quest is taking up to 10 minutes,just to get handed another quest and have to drive even further out. That's not even 10 minutes with human error,that's the game's own ETA on auto-pilot. That's assuming you can just drive straight there and don't have to hop out and walk. You can rent chocobos for an affordable cost to aid off-road travel,but their performance is locked behind yet another bar to grind. All this together just adds up to a recipe for instant "Ugh" when you turn in a quest and see the quest marker pop right back up again.

Samet Chan likes this.
  8. MilkyShoe

MilkyShoe GFX Design

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami on my PS4

Samet Chan and Gene Starwind like this.
  9. Gadolf the Absolute

Forum Moderator

I finished up my 4th Final Fantasy Five Four Job Fiesta run of the season last night. I wanted to try the new Forbidden mode out of curiosity. The actual run was good since I got Gladiator as my advanced job and managed to avoid losing any of my key jobs when the time came to void one of them,but I think I'm just going to stick to pure chaos from here on out. Any mode that takes away options is generally just less fun since you're basically just building multiples of the same character for every duplicate job you have. I'm probably gonna start my 5th run later today and try the rebalance hack. Praying I'm done with red mage and beastmaster for a while.

Register or to view Spoiler content!

Samet Chan likes this.
  10. Gene Starwind

Currently playing alien isolation

Samet Chan likes this.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 3)

1. Gadolf the Absolute
  2. Cholly
  3. Gene Starwind
data-ad-format="auto">