Anime Series You Recently Finished Watching

Discussion in 'Anime Discussion' started by Darkchao45, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Samet Chan

Samet Chan Altair-imperial
    AXF Donor

Recently Finished,
    1. Shingeki no Kyojin: Kuinaki Sentaku
    2. Shingeki no Kyojin: Lost Girls
    3. Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3

2. Gadolf the Absolute

Forum Moderator

Since my last entry I have finished off:My Hero Academia Season 3,Steins;Gate 0,Speed Grapher,and Ghost in the Shell Arise:Alternative Architecture.

Hero Aca is still itself. Season 3 has seen class 1-A take a step forward in possibility and responsibility as well as further solidifying Deku and Lord Explosion Murder as proper rivals. It's still a series worth watching,even for someone like me who never watched The Big 3 of Shonen anime. Rated it an 8/10,and still going strong with only a few "miss" episodes like the movie hype episode and a recap episode.

Steins;Gate 0 has been a little more polarizing with reviewers pointing out drastic changes to characters in terms of both design and personality. Problems like Mayuri trading in her emotional autism for a pair of bigger tits or Daru and Okabe's sudden normie turn,to say nothing of the plot that just takes too long to get going in a sequel that just didn't need to be. While I can agree with these claims,I still found Steins;Gate 0 enjoyable even as a significantly lesser series. I ended up rating it a 7/10,but's probably closer to a 6.5. The fact that it's a follow-up to an alternate ending I never saw didn't help it much,although I was particularly unsatisfied with how the original series wrapped itself up so nicely for what that's worth. I'm honestly not sure that this series really adds anything significant to the Steins;Gate universe aside from slapping in two new characters and the slightest peek into the post World War 3 landscape.

Speed Grapher existed. I was just invested enough to finish it in hopes of it getting better with time,but it never really did. Speed Grapher follows the exploits of a man who can make things explode with his camera because that's how he gets off on his journey to tear down a shady group who's leader wants to destroy Japan's economy,and then he does and the series ends. Spoilers. Over the course of the series,said photographer does a poor job of protecting a teenage girl he will not fuck with the ability to awaken peoples' mutant powers through the act of tonsil hockey who is dying but is cured off-screen when she gets her period from a line-up of people with their own strange powers like being made of diamond or being the dentist to fill your every nightmare for the rest of your life because dentists are scarier than Jason,Freddie,and 3rd Wave Feminists combined. This series lured me in with it's promise of a dark story filled with sex and corruption and an art style that looks older than it is only to not do much with it. I ended up rating it a 6/10 because MAL's text descriptor of "Fine" is about the best I can say about it. It's okay I guess if your options are Speed Grapher or getting shot in the head.

Ghost in the Shell....oddly doesn't live up to itself. Arise Alternative Architecture takes on the duty of retelling the 4 Arise Borders movies as a set of eight episodes with two more original but related episodes added on the end to complete the Fire Starter Arc while starting a new arc to be related to a future movie. Having consumed the amount of GITS that I have,I feel safe in saying that this is easily the weakest point for the property,namely for the absence of most of the cast due to it being set either in an alternate universe,or in an earlier point in the timeline depending on who you ask. The great team dynamics seen in Stand Alone Complex are nearly non-existent in this series as a result of this placement and the younger pre-Section 9 Makoto we're given in it's place simply can't carry the series in their absence,to say nothing of the character design changes that I just never liked. Nearly every character looks and acts differently than you remember,and not for the better. This honestly feels like a series you could skip entirely unless you're really aching to know the origin story of Makoto's special unit within Division 9. It's short enough at only 10 episodes and the OP is cool as hell,but I just wasn't impressed at all comparing this to 2nd Gig. I ended up rating it a 7/10,but again this feels more like a 6.5. A comparative disappointment.

Samet Chan likes this.
  3. Samet Chan

AXF Donor

Recently Finished: Hataraku Saibou

Register or to view Spoiler content!

4. KnIghT

KnIghT Sleepy Head

Samet Chan likes this.
  5. Gadolf the Absolute

Forum Moderator

Finished up Log Horizon a little while back. It's neat enough. Following a year after Sword Art Online,Log Horizon follows a similar concept of gamers trapped in an MMO Where it differs from SAO,aside from being less rapey,is i n how it seems to focus less on aspects of the game and more on the burgeoning real-world concerns like ethics,politics,building a functional economy,and a need for authority to deal with matters like public security in light of a nearly immediate breakout of player killings. So much of this anime focuses on the characters learning to "un-game" their surroundings,so it's fairly unique in that. I wish it had more and better fights,but it was still a neat watch for my first foray into the "Trapped in a game" sub-genre of Isekai series. Rated it a 7/10 and even started season 2 afterwards.

Ain't no lolis in K-on,get thee lyin' ass hence!

Samet Chan likes this.
  6. Samet Chan

AXF Donor

Recently Finished,
    1. Shakugan no Shana SP: Koi to Onsen no Kougai Gakushuu! (OVA)
    2. Shakugan no Shana Movie
    3. Shakugan no Shana II (Second)

7. Gadolf the Absolute

Forum Moderator

Finished Log Horizon season 2,see above. More of season 1 with new characters,more building of side characters,and some actual raid bosses,at the cost of a few main characters being sidelined. Gave it the same 7/10 as season 1,it still seems like one of the better "one of those" out there just from what I've heard about series like SAO and Gate.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 1)

1. Gadolf the Absolute
data-ad-format="auto">